Re: Simple script that locks up my box with recent kernels

On 07/10/06, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 01:36:24 +0200
"Jesper Juhl" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using the this very simple script for a while to do test
> builds of the kernel :
>

> #!/bin/bash
>
> for i in $(seq 1 100); do
>         nice make distclean
>         while true; do
>                 nice make randconfig
>                 grep -q "CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y" .config
>                 if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
>                         break
>                 fi
>         done
>         cp .config config.${i}
>         nice make -j3 > build.log.${i} 2>&1
> done
>

> Which has worked great in the past, but with recent kernels it has
> been a sure way to cause a complete lockup within 1 hour :-(

This is probably one of those nobody-but-you-can-reproduce-it things.

I hope not. But that actually why I post the script, to try an get
more people to reproduce...

> When the lockup happens the box just freezes and doesn't respond to
> anything at all. Sometimes I can reboot with alt+sysrq+b but sometimes
> not even that works.

If you can do sysrq-b then you can do sysrq-t, too?

I don't know, haven't tried - but I'll try the next few times it locks up.

Please ensure that you have all the CONFIG_DEBUG_* things set, apart from
PAGEALLOC.

$ zgrep CONFIG_DEBUG_ /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_DEBUG_DRIVER is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB_LEAK=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_RT_MUTEXES=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_PI_LIST=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_RWSEMS=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCK_ALLOC=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCKDEP=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCKING_API_SELFTESTS=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_FS=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_VM=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_LIST=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA=y

That good enough?

Once you've got the test set up and running, you can do the alt-ctl-F1
thing to take you out of X and into the vga console.  I suggest you leave
it running that way, see if anything pops up when it hangs.

I've done that on a few occasions already without seeing anything, but
I'll try a few more times.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html