Re: [RFC] PATCH to fix rescan_partitions to return errors properly

Erik Mouw wrote:
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 06:00:36PM -0700, Suzuki Kp wrote:

Currently the rescan_partition returns 0 (success), even if it is unable
to rescan the partition information ( may be due to disks offline, I/O
error reading the table or unknown partition ). This would make ioctl()
calls succeed for BLKRRPART requests even if partitions were not scanned
properly, which is not a good thing to do.

Attached here is patch to fix the issue. The patch makes
rescan_partition to return -EINVAL for unknown partitions and -EIO for
disk I/O errors ( or when disks are offline ).

I don't think it's a good idea to return an error when there's an
unknown partition table. How do you differentiate between a device that
isn't partitioned at all and a device with an unknown partition table?

Returning -EINVAL in both the above cases would inform the user that, the partition table was not read properly due to an invalid arguemnt (the disk) passed, which holds good for both the above cases.

What do you think ?

Better return 0 on an unknown partition table.

Erik

Suzuki