Re: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:12:53AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 00:08 +0200, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> > >
> > > Um, *which* distro's are shipping it already?  RHEL4?  SLES10?  I
> > > thought we saw a note saying that even Debian **unstable** didn't have
> > > a new enough version of the wireless-tools....
> >
> > That was my point initially. FC5-latest is apparently carrying
> >  tools which are "too old"... and I yum update twice or thrice
> >  a week. Not that *I* minded building packages from source,
> >  but this is likely a bit too much for a good slice of the userbase.
>
> And that's my fault.  I was made aware of this issue last week and am
> currently testing out the newer wireless-tools with the intention of
> pushing them to FC5-updates.  Had I actually been tracking the
> wireless-tools release cycle more closely, I would have pushed the
> wireless-tools-28 final version when it came out.
>
> But, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), that 2.6.18
> doesn't actually include WE-21! [1]  Somebody is trying to run
> out-of-kernel ipw3945 drivers using a 2.6.18 kernel from FC5 that's
> WE-20 only, but the driver uses WE-21?

Obviously I was a bit optimisitic in accepting the notion that distros
had already upgraded their userland bits to handle WE-21.  I apologize.

As Dan points-out, it will be a while before distros (other than
Fedora rawhide and equivalents) have 2.6.19 kernels for general
users.  For now, those experiencing this issue should be comfortable
experiencing some breakage...?

So, is the window between now and the release of 2.6.19 big enough
to give the distros time to get wireless-tools and wpa_supplicant
into their update streams?  Or do we need to go through the pain of
reverting/delaying WE-21?

John
--
John W. Linville