Re: Smaller compressed kernel source tarballs?

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Sean wrote:

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 22:35:27 +0200
Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 01:12:55PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
no, I was suggesting a pack file that contained _only_ the head version.

within the pack file it would delta against other files in the pack (how
many copies of the GPLv2 text exist across all files for example)

however Willy did a test and found that the resulting pack was
significantly larger then a .tgz. I don't know what options he used, so
while there's some chance that being more agressive in looking for deltas
would result in an improvement, the difference to make up is fairly
significant.

no options at all, so there may be room for improvement. Also, on my
notebook, I have hardlinked all my linux directories so that each
content only appears once. I don't have the numbers right here, but
I remember that it was really useful to merge lots of different versions,
but that the net gain within one given tree was really minor, as there
are not that many identical files in one tree.

Hey Willy,

I don't really understand the objective here, but you may want to double
check your procedure, the entire 2.4 history only takes a single 41M pack
in Git for me.

the idea was to use a git pack instead of a .tgz or .tar.bz2 as a distribution format from kernel.org

for example, the pack would only include the 2.6.18 kernel, no history.

once git supports shallow clones then the distributed blob could be a clone seed that a person could download and then track changes from there forward. but that's a future enhancement.

David Lang