Re: ext3 corruption

On Oct 01, 2006, at 23:24:48, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 01 October 2006 22:40, Molle Bestefich wrote:
To reiterate:
The distro halt script tries "umount -f" three times, which all fail with
"Device or resource busy".

Me too.
I'm getting those messages from the NFS stuff at shutdown time, with NO NFS
shares active.  I have had them for years.  But the reboot goes on
eventually, and apparently without harm.

What causes problems on _all_ of my softraid boxes is that without a whole bunch of pivot_root magic in the shutdown code to switch to a tmpfs and unmount my lvm-on-md-on-sata stuff, it's impossible to get the kernel to stop devices cleanly. I get all sorts of messages from the kernel about trying to stop MD devices and not being able to _after_ reboot is called, even though at that point it should just forcibly kill all userspace, unmount all filesystems, and deconstruct the MD/DM device tree. I see no reason why a successful shutdown or reboot call should _ever_ leave the disks in an inconsistent state.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett