Re: request for ioctl range for private devices

On 9/16/06, Jim Gibbons <[email protected]> wrote:

I would like to use an ioctl range that would be safe, now and in the
future.  Given that we won't be putting this driver on any general
computing platforms, it seems inappropriate to reserve an ioctl range
for this device.

I'm trying to get a patch accepted, and I just modified the file to
appear in the ioctl-number list, so if they apply the patch, the magic
number will be automatically reserved.

I think it's the right approach. Anyway, you should write and send the
device driver first, for review, because some people disagree with
your ioctl use, and maybe they can ask you for use another way to
communicate special commands to your device.

If you are not going to submit the driver code ever, I think it will
be much more difficult to get a ioctl just for your private use. If
I'm right, you will have to keep your patch update on your own, as it
doesn't belong to linux at all.

     Miguel Ojeda