request for ioctl range for private devices

I'm involved in the construction of a Linux based device that needs to use ioctl's to communicate between its kernel module and its daemons. The device is an embedded product. We should never have any need to distribute this driver interface.

I would like to use an ioctl range that would be safe, now and in the future. Given that we won't be putting this driver on any general computing platforms, it seems inappropriate to reserve an ioctl range for this device.

I would really like to use an ioctl range that is reserved for the class of private embedded devices. That way, I could be sure that I would never conflict with any peripheral that we might use without a reservation specific to our device.

Would you consider reserving space for such ioctl's?

p.s. I am not a kernel developer and hence not a member of this mailing list. Please cc me on any replies.

p.p.s. I first sent this request to Michael Chastain, who remains listed in Documentation/ioctl-number.txt. He replied that he is no longer involved and referred me to this e-mail list. Perhaps that document should be updated.