Re: Assignment of GDT entries

Linus Torvalds wrote:
So I'd not be surprised if movign the TLS segments around would break something.

I don't think so. 32-bit code running on x86-64 has different TLS selectors, and everything seems to work there...

That said, numbers talk, bullshit walks. If the above just works a lot better for all modern CPU's that all have 64-byte cachelines (because now _everything_ is in that bigger cacheline), and if you can show that with numbers, and nothing breaks in practice, then hey..

My goal would be to do a minimal change which packs all the useful stuff together in a 64-byte line. Ideally it would just use two 32-byte lines, but I don't think that's as important.

Caching effects are pretty hard to measure anyway, and with something as deeply x86-microarchitectural as this, I could imagine lots of other CPU cleverness which could obscure any simple measurement. But packing things into a line certainly can't hurt.

I'll put something together, and see how it goes...