Re: Uses for memory barriers

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 09:48:42PM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Montag, 11. September 2006 18:21 schrieb Paul E. McKenney:
> > 1.      A given CPU will always perceive its own memory operations
> >         as occuring in program order.
>
> Is this true for physical memory if virtually indexed caches are
> involved?

As I understand it, in systems with virtually indexed caches, the OS must
take care to ensure that a given cacheline appears only once in the cache,
even if it is mapped to multiple virtual addresses.  If an OS failed to
do this, then, as far as I can see, all bets are off.  Curt Schimmel's
book "UNIX(R) Systems for Modern Architectures: Symmetric Multiprocessing
and Caching for Kernel Programmers" is an excellent guide to the issues
posed by virtually indexed and virtually tagged caches.

In principle, one could construct a virtually indexed/tagged CPU cache
that automatically ejected any line with a conflicting physical address
(given that lookups are presumably much more frequent than loading new
cache lines), but I have no idea if any real hardware takes this approach.
I have had the good fortune to always work with physically tagged/indexed
caches.  ;-)

						Thanx, Paul