Proper /proc/pid/cmdline behavior when command line is corrupt?

Hi all; there's a few lines of code in fs/proc/base.c:proc_pid_cmdline() that I'm unable to make sense of. There are a few lines that check the returned buffer to see if it's properly nul-terminated. If not, the code assumes the user has overwritten and corrupted the command line buffer.

The next step is to search for the first embedded nul, and truncate the buffer at that point.

If no embedded nul is found, enough data is copied from the user's environment to fill the buffer. Another search for an embedded nul is then made.

Does anybody know what on earth this code is trying to accomplish? Is this the intended behavior? The best I can guess is that the user is assumed to have overwritten the end of the command line buffer and that the environment buffer is assumed to immediately follow the command line buffer.

I'm currently working on a patch that removes the one page limit on the returned command line buffer but I'm not convinced I should retain this behavior. Is it possible that there's any code out there that depends on this behavior. It would help if I knew why it was done this way.

TIA,
	-ed falk, [email protected]