Re: [RFC 0/5] dio: clean up completion phase of direct_io_worker()

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:57:32PM -0700, Zach Brown wrote:
> There have been a lot of bugs recently due to the way direct_io_worker() tries
> to decide how to finish direct IO operations.  In the worst examples it has
> failed to call aio_complete() at all (hang) or called it too many times (oops).
>
> This set of patches cleans up the completion phase with the goal of removing
> the complexity that lead to these bugs.  We end up with one path that
> calculates the result of the operation after all off the bios have completed.
> We decide when to generate a result of the operation using that path based on
> the final release of a refcount on the dio structure.

Very nice piece of work ! Thanks for taking this up :)

I have looked through all the patches and the completion path unification
logic looks sound to me (btw, the explanations and comments are very good too).
Not the usual bandaids that we often end up with, but a real cleanup that
should go some way in making at least the most errorprone part of the DIO
code more maintainable (I hope/wish we could also do something similar with
simplifying the locking as well).

Of course with this code, we have to await rigorous testing
... and more reviews, but please consider this as my ack for the approach.

Regards
Suparna

--
Suparna Bhattacharya ([email protected])
Linux Technology Center