Re: Strange write starvation on 2.6.17 (and other) kernels

Neil Brown wrote:
On Tuesday August 22, [email protected] wrote:
In my various experimenting the one thing that was effective in
improving the fairness was to make Linux impose write throttling more
often.

I might have found something else too....

Were you using ext3?

If you, can you try mounting with  data=writeback
and see if that makes any difference to the fairness?

Thanks,
NeilBrown

I've already tried data=writeback - almost no difference or it makes things even worse. I've briefly tested XFS filesystem, and I've seen the same behavior as in ext3 so it does not seem to be ext3 related.

Andrzej.