Re: [take12 0/3] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 02:55:47PM +0200, Jari Sundell ([email protected]) wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Evgeniy Polyakov <[email protected]> wrote:
> >We still do not know what uintptr_t is, and it looks like it is a pointer,
> >which is forbidden. Those numbers are not enough to make network AIO.
> >And actually is not compatible with kqueue already, so you will need to
> >write your own parser to convert your parameters into above structure.
>
> 7.18.1.4 Integertypes capable of holding object pointers
>
> "1 The following type designates a signed integer type with the
> property that any valid
> pointer to void can be converted to this type, then converted back to
> pointer to void,
> and the result will compare equal to the original pointer:"
>
> Dunno if this means that x86-64 needs yet another typedef, or if using
> long for intptr_t is incorrect. But assuming a different integer type
> was used instead of intptr_t, that is known to be able to hold a
> pointer, would there still be any problems?

stdint.h

/* Types for `void *' pointers.  */
#if __WORDSIZE == 64
# ifndef __intptr_t_defined
typedef long int		intptr_t;
#  define __intptr_t_defined
# endif
typedef unsigned long int	uintptr_t;
#else
# ifndef __intptr_t_defined
typedef int			intptr_t;
#  define __intptr_t_defined
# endif
typedef unsigned int		uintptr_t;
#endif

which means that with 32bit userspace it will be equal to 32bit only.

> I'm unable to see anything specific about AIO in your kevent patch
> that these modifications wouldn't support.

I was asked to postpone AIO stuff for now, you can find it in previous
patchsets sent about week or two ago.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov