Re: [take12 0/3] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:22:06AM +0200, Jari Sundell ([email protected]) wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Evgeniy Polyakov <[email protected]> wrote:
> >void * in structure exported to userspace is forbidden.
>
> Only void * I'm seeing belongs to the user, (udata) perhaps you are
> talking of something different?

Yes, exactly about it.

I put union {
	u32 a[2];
	void *b;
}
epcially to eliminate that problem.

And I'm not that sure aboit stuff like uptr_t or how they call pointers
in userspace and kernelspace.

> >long in syscall requires wrapper in per-arch code (although that
> >workaround _is_ there, it does not mean that broken interface should
> >be used).
> >poll uses millisecods - it is perfectly ok.
>
> The kernel is there to hide those ugly implementation details from the
> user, so I don't care that much about a workaround being required in
> some cases. More important, IMHO is consistency with the POSIX system
> calls.
>
> I guess as long as you use usec, at least it won't be a pain to use.

Andrew suggested to use nanoseconds there in u64 variable.
I think it is ok.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov