Re: [take12 0/3] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:07:58AM -0700, Andrew Morton ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:56:59 +0400
> Evgeniy Polyakov <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 02:43:50AM +0200, Jari Sundell ([email protected]) wrote:
> > > Actually, I didn't miss that, it is an orthogonal issue. A timespec
> > > timeout parameter for the syscall does not imply the use of timespec
> > > in any timer event, etc. Nor is there any timespec timer in kqueue's
> > > struct kevent, which is the only (interface related) thing that will
> > > be exposed.
> >
> > void * in structure exported to userspace is forbidden.
> > long in syscall requires wrapper in per-arch code (although that
> > workaround _is_ there, it does not mean that broken interface should
> > be used).
> > poll uses millisecods - it is perfectly ok.
>
> I wonder whether designing-in a millisecond granularity is the right thing
> to do.  If in a few years the kernel is running tickless with high-res clock
> interrupt sources, that might look a bit lumpy.
>
> Switching it to a __u64 nanosecond counter would be basically free on
> 64-bit machines, and not very expensive on 32-bit, no?

I can put nanoseconds as timer interval too (with aligned_u64 as David
mentioned), and put it for timeout value too - 64 bit nanosecods ends up
with 58 years, probably enough.
Structures with u64 a really not so good idea.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov