Re: PATCH: Multiprobe sanitizer

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 05:22 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 02:12:57PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > >
> > > That's exactly why udev was created :)
> > >
> > > It can handle bus ordering issues already today just fine, and distros
> > > use it this way in shipping, "enterprise ready" products.
> >
> > Only up to a certain point and for certain drivers... but yeah.
>
> What drivers are not supported by this?  Seriously, have we missed any?

udev will not create stable names for a bunch of things... at least not
with the default config that comes with distros. On my shuttle with the
built-in USB card reader, whatever config comes up with the box will
cause the machine to boot or fail to boot due to sda not beeing what
it's expected to be, and udev is of no help because it won't create
stable device names. Yes, I'm confident it _can_ be configured to do so.
It generally is not.

fbdev's also come to mind etc...

It's mostly a distro problem at this point...

Ben.