Re: bootsplash integration

08/11/2006 05:39 PM, Steve Barnhart wrote/a écrit:
I am aware of Splashy and it does seem rather nice, but I also am for
several alternatives and Bootsplash has been around for a long time
and gensplash continues to enhance it. SuSE has used bootsplash
forever and mandrake does also I believe. It would be nice to finally
have one of those actually integrated into the kernel since the
technology and patches to do so are already there. It requires less
work out of people like me ha and would be a nice feature addition in
addition to good alternatives like splashy.

The kernel only incorporates what is _really_ necessary. A jpeg decoder and a progress bar manager would never become part of the kernel! splashy proves that this kind of feature are absolutely not necessary in the kernel as it's feasible in the user-space. Move to splashy, it'll require you less work than patching your kernel ;-)

I just wonder if one can also put background pictures on the TTY only from user-space...

See you,
Eric