Re: [RFC] Simple Slab: A slab allocator with minimal meta information

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> BTW, in recent Linux, many objects are freed by call_rcu(hoo, dealyed_free_foo).
> Objects are freed far after it was touched.
> I think catching this kind of freeing will not boost performance by cache-hit if
> reuse freed page (object).

Yes that is a general problem with RCU freeing. One can use the
SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU option to have RCU applied to the whole slab. In that
case on can use the cache hot effect but has the additional problem in RCU
of dealing with the issue that the object can be replaced at any time.