Re: What's in git.git, and announcing GIT 1.4.2-rc4

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * The 'next' branch, in addition, has these.
>
>   = To graduate immediately after 1.4.2 happens:
>
> [...]
>
>   - pack-objects can copy a non-delta representation of a object
>     with the new style header straight into packs.
>
> [...]
>
>   * Hopefully not too long after 1.4.2:
>
> [...]
>
>   - New style loose objects, which use the same header format as
>     in-pack objects, can be copied straight into packs when not
>     deltified.  I am hoping that we can make the new-style loose
>     objects the default in 10 to 12 weeks to give everybody time
>     to update to 1.4 series.

These are the same, no?

> * The 'pu' branch, in addition, has these.
>
> [...]
>
>   - Johannes has a new diff option --color-words to use color to
>     squash word differences into single line output.
>
>     I do not feel much need for this stuff, and the change is
>     rather intrusive, so I am tempted to drop it.

I beg to differ on the "intrusive": except for needed structs and
functions, which are totally orthogonal with the rest of git, it only
touches fn_out_consume(), builtin_diff() and in an obvious way,
diff_opt_parse() and struct diff_options.

So the real impact is pretty low and well contained.

Besides, I really use it often -- you should try it! Call me blind, but
very often I cannot spot the differences (in the unified diff) when they
are minor, especially when there was just a typo in the documentation. You
could now say that I should not care about it, then, but if _I_ made the
mistake, I want to learn from it.

Of course, if you really hate what it does, I will happily carry it in my
personal repository; I _need_ it.

Ciao,
Dscho