Re: Adrian Bunk is now taking over the 2.6.16-stable branch

Greg KH schrieb:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:00:49AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:45:53PM -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
>>> Umm, is there some place we can check to see what you've applied?
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git
>
> No, I would not use the main git tree to queue patches up.  What happens
> when you want to rip the middle one out because in review it turns out
> that it is incorrect?

You can have multiple branches in one git repository.  E.g. git's own
repository has a "master" branch containing all committed changes, a
"next" branch which is similar to a release candidate and is regularly
merged back into "master" if ready, and a "pu" branch which contains the
more experimental stuff.  The latter doesn't even have a continuous history.

And it has other branches containing different stuff, e.g. "man" is a
special branch containing the generated manpages.  You could also have
topic branches or one branch per submitter, or whatever.

> Please use a quilt tree of patches instead, and then only commit the
> patches when you do a release.  It's much simpler that way.

There's even a quilt clone based on git (http://www.procode.org/stgit/).
 I have never used it, though, so I can't comment on it.

That said, it's a good idea to keep the master branch continuous, i.e.
never delete it or reset it to some previous commit.  So, as you
suggest, have a staging area for patches and only commit the good ones
to your master branch.  You can use a branch in the same repo as staging
area, though.

You can do quite a lot of different things with just one git repository.
 :-D

René