Re: ext3 corruption

Duane Griffin wrote:
> And what will e2fsck do to my dear filesystem if I let it have a go at it?

To be safe, run it on an image of your filesystem first.

Yes, hmm, I don't have another terabyte handy, unfortunately.

That is assuming you have enough spare space, of course.
If not then you should at least run e2fsck with -n first to find out
what it wants to do.

How close to 1-1 does "-n" relate to non-"-n" ?

For example, does e2fsck take into consideration the changes it would
have done itself in regular mode when it proceeds to the next problem
and/or phase of a -n operation?

If it doesn't, then that command is, well, totally useless.

So :-).  Does it take that into consideration?

Personally, my risk tolerance would be closely correlated with
the quality of my backups.

I hear you loud and clear...
Sigh ;-).

"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan

Hmm.  I like it.