Re: [stable] Next 2.6.17-stable review cycle will be starting in about 24 hours

Hi Neil,

> > > instead of ext3-avoid-triggering-ext3_error-on-bad-nfs-file-handle.patch
> > > it makes more sense to include the revised patches from Neil:
> > >
> > > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/430323
> > >
> > > It seems that these are not merged upstream, but my understanding was
> > > that they were the best way to fix this. For RHEL4 we are going with
> > > these two patches.
> >
> > Hm, I just went with what Neil sent me for inclusion.  Neil, do you want
> > me to change the patches you sent us?
>
> I think the patch you have is adequate for ext3.  It closes the
> important hole.  I think the extra patch for ext3 in the gmane link
> above is not entirely necessary so I wouldn't push it for stable.
> That doesn't make it a wrong choice for RHEL4 though.
>
> The ext2 patch, on the other hand, should probably go in to stable.

this actually looks unclean to me. I thought the code duplication in
ext2 and ext3 was the price that you have to pay to avoid any layering
violation. I personally would like to see the upstream patch go into
-stable. However we don't have this upstream at the moment. So what
would you consider sending to Linus?

Regards

Marcel