Re: + espfix-code-cleanup.patch added to -mm tree

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:12:21 +0400, Stas Sergeev wrote:

> > iret faults, but doesn't pop the user return frame.
> But does it push the kernel frame after it or not?
> If not - I don't understand how we go to a fixup.
> If yes - I don't understand how the user's frame gets
> accessed later, as it is above the kernel's frame.

Just before trying to return to userspace, we have a stack:

        user_regs [ebx ... es]
        orig_eax
        user_iret_frame [eip ... oldss]

After RESTORE_ALL and discarding orig_eax, we have this just
before doing iret (user's regs are in the CPU regs now):

        user_iret_frame [eip ... oldss]

iret faults and we get:

        kernel_iret_frame [eip(of iret) ... flags]
        user_iret_frame [eip ... oldss]

error_code then saves regs and we have:

        user_regs [ebx ... es]
        orig_eax [== -1]
        kernel_iret_frame [eip(iret) ... flags]
        user_iret_frame [eip ... oldss]

error_code then calls e.g. do_segment_not_present, which finds a fixup
and does:

        regs->eip = fixup_address;

now we have:

        user_regs [ebx ... es]
        orig_eax [== -1]
        kernel_iret_frame [eip(fixup) ... flags]
        user_iret_frame [eip ... oldss]

standard return sequence gives us (again user's regs are back in CPU):

        kernel_iret_frame [eip(fixup) ... flags]
        user_iret_frame [eip ... oldss]

iret returns to the fixup code which jumps to error_code and then we have:

        user_regs [ebx ... es]
        orig_eax [== -1]
        user_iret_frame [eip ... oldss]

So now there is a stack frame that looks like it came from userspace
and we call the iret fault handler with that.

Only problem I have with this is we lose the original fault info from
the iret.  So we have no real way of knowing whether it was #GP, #NP, #SF
or whatever, and no record of the offending iret's address.

--
Chuck