Re: Preserving uptime with kexec?

On Monday 31 July 2006 17:28, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > Speaking of which, I have submitted a claim to Guiness Book of Records
> > for my uptime on a lowly 486 box that serves my webpages (via NFS) as
> > a 'home user' (I am sure business classed machines do better with UPS
> > etc.).  I have posted here twice when it hit 1000 days and then 1500
> > days:
>
> http://en.uptime-project.net/
> someone's going to beat you by lengths...

Yeah... but how do you prove it?  The top machine on http://counter.li.org/

http://counter.li.org/reports/uptimestats.php

is just above mine - but running a kernel that wasn't even released that
amount of days ago?

Anyway, on cue (would you believe THIS?!?), about 10 minutes after I replied
to this thread, I received a mail:

Claim ID: xxxxxx
Membership Number: xxxxx

Dear Mr Warne,

Thank you for sending us the details of your recent record proposal for 'home
computer - longest 'uptime''. We are afraid to say that we are unable to
accept this as a Guinness World Record.

We have considered your proposal carefully but regret that it is not something
for which we are currently interested in listing a record. We receive over
60,000 enquiries a year from which only a small proportion are approved by
our experienced researchers to establish new categories.

We realize that this will be disappointing to you. However, we have considered
your proposal fully; in the context of the specific subject area and that of
records as a whole, and our decision is final in this matter.

Once again thank you for your interest in Guinness World Records.

Yours sincerely,

Amarilis Espinoza
Records Management Team

Heh.  BUGGER!

Nick
--
Every program has two purposes:
one for which it was written and another for which it wasn't.