Re: REGRESSION: the new i386 timer code fails to sync CPUs

Hi,

Andi Kleen:
> > I'll postpone that until we have a working kernel fix,
> > for obvious reasons.
>
> What are the obvious reasons?

- No endangering of customers' production machines without a compelling
  reason.

- No stepping back, as I don't know which BIOS version is on the
  board (DMI says "6.0", but Tyan has 1.0x on their website; the
  release date doesn't match either).

- I'd rather test a working workaround in the kernel before updating;
  if I have the problem, others have it too, and gettng Linux to boot in
  that situation isn't exactly trivial -- the fact that you need a
  clock= parameter when udevsend hangs is kindof non-obvious.

- ... and the not-quite-obvious reason: Tyan specifies that I *need* a
  Win95 or Win98 boot floppy to do that. While I don't really believe
  them, I still don't have one of those handy ... which brings me back
  to the first item in this list.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  [email protected]
 - -