Re: 2.6.17 -> 2.6.18 regression: cpufreq broken since 2.6.18-rc1 on pentium4

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 08:44:43PM +0200, bert hubert wrote:

 > > Do you have any info in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq ?
 >
 > No, not with just acpi-cpufreq loaded. With the help of Zwane, I've
 > discovered that if I unload acpi-cpufreq, I *can* load p4-clockmod, and then
 > the directory you mention appears, and I can configure governors, and life
 > is good. This all on 2.6.18-rc3.

Right, cpufreq drivers aren't 'stackable'.

 > Do I understand correctly that acpi-cpufreq is supposed to offer comparable
 > features?

If the BIOS supports the relevant ACPI tables.

 > Perhaps acpi-cpufreq *has* loaded, but did not find the proper hooks, but
 > has now registered itself, thus blocking p4-clockmod? When everything is
 > in-kernel, acpi-cpufreq might register itself first, which would lead to the
 > same thing.

Normally, if the necessary BIOS bits aren't there, then acpi-cpufreq will
fail to register.  For some reason it sounds like it believes that everything
went ok.  I wonder if something changed in acpi recently that caused this
change in behaviour ? Len ?

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk