Re: suspend2 merge history [was Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion]

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Saturday 29 July 2006 21:23, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Pavel Machek wrote:
On Fri 28-07-06 01:22:49, Olivier Galibert wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:42:25PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
So we have 1 submission for review in 11/2004 and 1 submission for -mm
merge in 2006, right?
Wrong.  I gave a list of dates at the beginning of the month, do you
think I threw dice to get them?

And could you explain, as suspend maintainer for the linux kernel, how
come code submitted for the first time two years ago and with a much
better track record than the in-kernel one is still not in?
Because Nigel has too much of code to start with, and refuses to fix
his design because it would invalidate all the stabilization work.
Why should he invalidate his stabilization work, and what's in need of fixing? The suspend in the kernel is great, but suspend2 includes both suspend and working resume code as well.
Plus Nigel did not do very good job with submitting those patches.
They apply, they work. What's not very good about that? Is this being blocked because of a spelling error, or did he mess up the indenting on "signed off by" or what? I realize you may have something other than the download version, but it's been years now.

I would like to see the working suspend (suspend2) in the kernel, and users wanting to debug the resume stuff currently in the kernel could get it under EXPERIMENTAL or some such.

You probably don't realize how offensive this is.

Actually some people have been working really hard to make the in-kernel
code work and you could just respect that.
By respect I take it you mean "don't call attention to the fact that it doesn't work for many people?"

Now, please note the swsusp resume code works for me 100% of the time
and I know of many people who use it without any problems.  Also I know of
some people for whom suspend2 doesn't work.  Please take this into
consideration.
That's exactly the answer I've been getting for saveral years, "it works for me and my friends," and "try x.y.z release."

Moreover, if the swsusp's resume doesn't work for you and suspend2's resume
does, this probably means that suspend2 contains some driver fixes that
haven't been submitted for merging.

That's been addressed by other people, but the suspend2 patch has been submitted multiple times, if there is some driver fix it certainly has been submitted, just not accepted.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc