Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 01:46:18PM -0600, Hans Reiser wrote:

Consider what happened with XFS as the article writer mentions.  I met
the original XFS team, led by two very senior developers (Jim Grey, and
another fellow whose name I am blanking on, forgive me, I learned much
from him in just a few conversations).

Not sure who Jim Grey was, he never worked on XFS, ah well.

I believe you are referring to Jim Mostek and Steve Lord, and yes,
they were very talented developers and engineers.  I very much enjoyed
talking to them at various filesystem and Linux conferences and
workshops.

supervision.  What happened?  They got hassled.  Instead of learning
from them, welcoming into our community two very senior developers who
knew a lot more than any of us about the topics they chose to speak
about, they got hassled, they get ignored, they felt rejected, and left
the Linux community forever, never to return.

That's hardly what happened.  SGI went through layoffs, and they were
hit.  See:  http://slashdot.org/articles/01/05/26/0743254.shtml

Ted, you of all people should know not believe all you read on
slashdot ;-) 'Linuxcare helping out with the funding' ha!

Both Jim Mostek and I left under our own steam at different times, Jim
in 2000 and myself in 2003. SGI still has great technology to work on
and, but the you can only take so many years of bad financial results
and watching people get layed off.

I still work on Linux, and follow development as much as I can. I keep
trying  to get back to OLS, but circumstances keep conspiring against
me, maybe next year.

Steve Lord