Re: suspend2 merge history [was Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion]

Hua Zhong wrote:
Moreover, if the swsusp's resume doesn't work for you and suspend2's resume does, this probably means that suspend2 contains some driver fixes that haven't been submitted for merging.

This statement worries me for several reasons.

First, I've seen repeatedly blame for "drivers". People might buy it if there was not a working suspend2. I never saw Nigal blame
drivers; instead he makes sure to provide working code. In the end, users want a working suspend, and that's what counts.

Second, if the current swsusp maintainers have genuine interest for the users (not just "it works on my machine"), I would think
they'd have taken a serious look at why suspend2 has a higher success rate. But from the above comment, you are not even sure why
that is, and could only speculate "this probably means (drivers)". I could hardly be convinced that the current maintainers have
been trying to work with Nigal to improve Linux suspend.

At last, "maintainer" is not just a title or a feeling of superiority, it's a responsibility of providing a great system to the
users. I'll just quote Linus when he was flaming suspend-to-ram a couple of months ago. Replace it with suspend-to-disk at your own
will:

"The fact that worries me is that suspend-to-ram DOES NOT WORK FOR PEOPLE. I have never _ever_ met a laptop or machine of mine that "just worked". I've always had to fix something, and people always end up having to do something ridiculous like unlink all modules etc.

If that isn't what worries you, you're on the wrong page."

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.power-management.general/2105

That's the way I feel, I'm glad someone who can't be ignored feels the same way. There is always a reason why the working version can't be put in mainline, there's always a reason why it doesn't work on my machines but I'm assured that it works on {someone}'s machine so I must have a bad {bios|setup|partition table|attitude}.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a