Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 04:45:29PM +0200, [email protected] wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:58:23PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > What about the following statement:
> >
> > "Gentoo is 47 times as popular as SuSE among KLive users (a service
> >  offered by a SuSE employee gathering data from many users worldwide)."
> >
> > Is any part of this information wrong?
> >
> > Is it therefore OK to put this information to /. ?
> >
> > Surely not, but you might get the point.
>
> I already told you once that such a claim is totally bogus because
> KLive _doesn't_ record anything about the _userland_, it only records
> kernel stuff.
>
> It's not Dlive (distributon Live), it's KLive and K stands for
> _kernel_ not distributions.
>
> Not sure how many times I'll have to remind you about this.
>

> Also note currently the current cumulative uptime ratio is 1:18 not
> 1:47 and even the ratio of the number of users is 1:42. The only claim
> based on actual facts you can try to publish on the press is this:

The 1:47 was what I calculated yesterday, but it seems to be 1:42 now.

But I'd measure popularity in current usage, not in cumulative uptime.

> "The Gentoo kernels are 18 times more popular than the SUSE kernels
> among KLive users (a service offered in his spare time by a SUSE
> contractor that tries to gather data from many users worldwide)."

Slightly modified version is now in my .signature (I omitted the
"spare time" part since the information is still true and sounds better
without it - it would be cencorship if you'd try to force me to not
omit it).

cu
Adrian

--

  The Gentoo kernels are 42 times more popular than the SUSE kernels
  among KLive users (a service by SuSE contractor Andrea Arcangeli that