Re: [3/4] kevent: AIO, aio_sendfile() implementation.

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 09:22 -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> >> I completely agree with that aswell.
> >>

> > I agree, too, but the current code is not the last of the line.  Suparna
> > has a st of patches which make the current kernel aio code work much
> > better and especially make it really usable to implement POSIX AIO.
> >
> > In Ottawa we were talking about submitting it and Suparna will.  We just
> > thought about a little longer timeframe.  I guess it could be
> > accelerated since he mostly has the patch done.  But I don't know her
> > schedule.
> >
> > Important here is, don't base any decision on the current aio
> > implementation.
> >
> Ulrich,
>
> Suparna mentioned your interest in making POSIX glibc aio work with
> kernel-aio at OLS.
> We thought taking a re-look at the (kernel side) work BULL did, would be
> a nice starting
> point. I re-based those patches to 2.6.18-rc2 and sent it to Zach Brown
> for review before
> sending them out to list.
>
> These patches does NOT make AIO any cleaner. All they do is add
> functionality to support
> POSIX AIO easier. These are
>
> [ PATCH 1/3 ]  Adding signal notification for event completion
>
> [ PATCH 2/3 ]  lio (listio) completion semantics
>
> [ PATCH 3/3 ] cancel_fd support

  Badari,

  Thanks for refreshing those patches, they have been sitting here
for quite some time now and collected dust.

  I also think Suparna's patchset for doing buffered AIO would be
a real plus here.

> Suparna explained these in the following article:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/148755/
>
> If you think, this is a reasonable direction/approach for the kernel and
> you would take care
> of glibc side of things - I can spend time on these patches, getting
> them to reasonable shape
> and push for inclusion.

  Ulrich, I you want to have a look at how those patches are put to
use in libposix-aio, have a look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/paiol.

  It could be a starting point for glibc.

  Thanks,

  Sébastien.

  Sébastien Dugué                BULL/FREC:B1-247
  phone: (+33) 476 29 77 70      Bullcom: 229-7770

  mailto:[email protected]

  Linux POSIX AIO: http://www.bullopensource.org/posix
                   http://sourceforge.net/projects/paiol