Re: [3/4] kevent: AIO, aio_sendfile() implementation.

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Networking and disk AIO have significantly different needs.

Therefore, I really don't see it as reasonable to expect
a merge of these two things.  It doesn't make any sense.

I'm not sure about that.  The current aio interface isn't exactly nice
for disk I/O either.  I'm more than happy to have a discussion about
that aspect.

I agree that it makes perfect sense for a merger because aio and networking have very similar needs. In both cases, the caller hands the kernel a buffer and wants the kernel to either fill it or consume it, and to be able to do so asynchronously. You also want to maximize performance in both cases by taking advantage of zero copy IO.

I wonder though, why do you say the current aio interface isn't nice for disk IO? It seems to work rather nicely to me, and is much better than the posix aio interface.