Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On 7/26/06, Bernd Eckenfels <[email protected]> wrote:

Matthias Andree <[email protected]> wrote:
> But the assertion that some backup was the cause for inode exhaustion on
> ext? is not very plausible since hard links do not take up inodes,
> symlinks are not backups and everything else requires disk blocks. So,
> since reformatting ext2/ext3 to one inode per block is possible
> (regardless of disk capacity), I see no way how a reformatted file
> system might run out of inodes before it runs out of blocks.

Well I had actually the problem on a tmpfs where I had too many zero byte
files...

Yes, I once ran out of inodes because logrotate kept rotating and
compressing already compressed and empty logfiles. I can't remember
how many seconds it took me to add 'df -i' to our monitoring system.

This, however, was not a feature of the software. I assume.

So, any company that considers the remote possibility of seeking a
$250,000 solution, where the alternative is to buy a 36GB hard drive,
please give me a call.

Cheers,
Buddy