Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:30:23AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> (I mean geez, if you want really high standards before new code is
> accepted, take a look at Open Solaris; they have *such* a heavyweight
> process, with two mandatory signoffs by core Solaris engineers who
> both have to do a line-by-line review, and with a promise of on-disk
> and ABI compatibility *forever* ---- that we do more commits in a week
> than they do in a year....)

That sounds almost like gcc, only worse.

I think there is something of a problem currently, tough.  It is
getting too hard to get code in if you're not a maintainer for an
existing subsystem (reiser4, suspend2...), and too easy when you're a
maintainer (ext4, uswsusp...).  Ext patches don't get reviewed much
outside of the developpers, and they go in pretty much without
discussion in any case, except when Linus blows a fuse.  Reiser4 would
have be in without discussion if it had been a set of patches through
time to reiser3, and would have been called 4 only when Linus yelled.
I suspect some balancing would be useful.

  OG.