Re: reiserFS?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 06:16:31PM +0200, Xavier Roche wrote:
> > It simply the best filesystem for many kinds of usage patterns.
>
> The most frightening too. Reiserfs might be suitable for very specific
> appliactions, but to use it in production machine, you need to have
> some guts.
>
> My last reiserfs partition was blown up two days ago, because of a bad
> sector, plus a fatal oops, looping endlessly. This was the second
> time, and the last one, as none of my ext3 filesystems *ever* had
> similar problems, despite numerous other bad sector issues. Not
> mentionning the funny "recovery" tool, which generally finishes to
> trash your data.

I don't quite understand. You are supposed to dd_rescue the whole block
device to a working drive and use fsck on the copy.  Whatever is lost in
the process must of course be restored from a recent backup. But, as a
friend of mine put it recently, people don't need backup, they only need
restore ; )

fsck on a faulty drive might cause even more damage - how do you know
that other areas of the device are OK?

I also oppose the ReiserFS-v3.x design philosophy regarding faulty
storage layer, but in any case where your _live_ data is valuable and
uptime counts, you _really_should_ use a RAID of some sort.

Kind regards,
uziel

PS: Your mail was line-wrapped really bad, you might want to look into
that.