Re: [SYSFS] Kernel Null pointer dereference in sysfs_readdir()

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 01:35:50PM +0200, Duetsch, Thomas  LDE1 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on a custom kernel based on Ingo's -rt patch
> (2.6.16-rt29).
>
> While rebooting my machine, I came across a kernel null pointer
> dereference in this code segment in fs/sysfs/dir.c, function
> sysfs_readdir():
>
> 		for (p=q->next; p!= &parent_sd->s_children; p=p->next) {
> 			struct sysfs_dirent *next;
> 			const char * name;
> 			int len;
>
> 			next = list_entry(p, struct sysfs_dirent,
> 					   s_sibling);
> 			if (!next->s_element)
> 				continue;
>
> 			name = sysfs_get_name(next);
> 			len = strlen(name);
> 			if (next->s_dentry)
> PROBLEM ->			ino = next->s_dentry->d_inode->i_ino;
> 			else
> 				ino = iunique(sysfs_sb, 2);
>
> Checking the mailing list, I came across this thread:
> "What protection does sysfs_readdir have with SMP/Preemption?"
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/22/293
> Which handels the exact same problem (And I'm working on the kernel
> Steve was working back then).
> Reading through your suggestions and solutions, I was wondering, what
> would happen if a sysfs file would be deleted instead of created, while
> a sysfs_readdir were in progress.
> Looking through the code, I don't see, where the parents inode mutex is
> taken, to prevent a race condition.

parent's inode mutex is taken in vfs_readdir() in case of sysfs_readdir() call
and in sysfs_hash_and_remove() in case of delete path.

> Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the behaviour, nor do I know, which
> file was accessed, when this happens.
>
> Like Steve said back then, this might well be a problem in our code, but
>
> since we didn't change the sysfs, maybe it's a vanilla problem as well.

I thought at that time the issue was due to bug in error path which got
fixed by Steve's patch.

Thanks
Maneesh