patch for timer.c - two dmesgs

Hi Roman,
Trying to boot kernel 2.6.18-rc1-mm1 on a Siemens-Fujitsu mainbord with an Intel Pentium 3 processor running at 600 Mhz the last message I can read is the following:
Starting PostgreSQL 7.4 database server: main_
(The _ behind main stands for the hanging cursors).

Then the boot process does not take any break at all (like in kernel 2.6.18-rc1 and in kernels 2.6.17-mm*), but simply stops completely.
About 7 message lines are missing before X starts for presenting the graphical login prompt (proftpd, xprint etc.).
Perhaps two dmesgs help: one for a functionable 2.6.17.4 kernel (dmesg17), another for the kernel in question (dmesg18).
This does not happen on two Pentium 4 machines with Asus mainboards and Pentium 4 processors running at 1800 Mhz.

Please see two dmesg attachments.

Regards

Uwe

P. S.: Please a humble request: I'd deeply appreciate that Valdis stops telling me things like: „Odd.. there wasn't anything P4-specific in that patch..“ or
„Are you *positive* that your Pentium3 box is hanging up for the same reason? It could be it's something else entirely.“

Simply my intuition tells me that a system timer performs very different on two very different machines with two very different CPU frequencies and two very different main processors.
For example absolutely NO Pentium 3 or Pentium 2 processor contains hyperthreading technology, far apart from the totally different CPU frequencies!
In so far it not only could be but simply MUST be a timer.c issue!!