Re: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

 On Tue, Jul 11, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Olaf Hering wrote:
> >
> >There is always some sort of prereq when new features get added.
> >Documentation/Changes has a long list. Some setup need more updates,
> >some need fewer updates. No idea what your experience is.
> >Old klibc was trivial to build (modulo that kernel header mess), and I
> >expect that kinit handles old kernels.
> >

> One more thing on this subject... "modulo that kernel header mess" is
> just as much a reflection of the fact that the Linux ABI really isn't
> particularly stable.  glibc contains a huge amount of code to deal with
> different kernel versions.  klibc will not be doing this; in general old
> klibcs should continue to work (but may not compile against a newer
> kernel), but a newer klibc may not work on an older kernel.

"It would be nice if ..." someone can build a list of things that
changed over time. Say from 2.0.0 to 2.6.18. Just struct layouts and defines.

I havent tried it, but one would hope that the /bin/ls from SuSE 5.3 still
works today.  Guess its time for me to actually try that the next days.