Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: uswsusp history lesson

Hi.

On Monday 10 July 2006 20:02, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > hmm...could it be that we "features, features, features" in suspend2
> > > because nigel & co did get the basics right?
> >
> > As I said... if that is the case then it'd be easy to first merge "the
> > right basics", get that solid, and THEN add the features. So far I've
> > not seen that happen.
>
> Well.. Nigel claims his code can not be split into reasonable chunks.
>
> I actually wanted to get a version without advanced features
> (userspace splash, compression, encryption, plugins), but he claims it
> is not possible. Rafael is trying to persuade him to split out at
> least freezer out...

When did you ask for that? Perhaps I missed it.

The modularity is part of the basis of the redesign, so I couldn't easily
remove that. Removing the compression and encryption support is trivial
though (one file each, plus Makefile & Kconfig entries - no other
modifications needed). Userspace splash - well, just don't compile and
install that userspace component - suspend2 will keep working quite happily
without any userspace app to do a nice display (it will still do printks, so
you won't be flying completely blind).

As for the freezer, Rafael doesn't need to persuade me at all. I just need to
find the time to do what he requested.

Regards,

Nigel
--