Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: uswsusp history lesson

Hi.

On Monday 10 July 2006 07:36, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Sunday 09 July 2006 23:06, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> ]-- snip --[
>
> > > Now there's the separate problem that we have to share _some_ code.
> > > To an absolute minimum, we have to share the freezer code and the
> > > code that handles devices, because it's also shared by suspend-to-RAM.
> > > The code that handles devices is already shared, but we also _have_
> > > _to_ share the freezer code.  Therefore, as long as suspend2 adds some
> > > code to the freezer, it's not even close to be considerable for
> > > merging.
> >
> > If Suspend2 added code in a way that broke swsusp, I would agree. But it
> > doesn't.
>
> This is not a matter of any breakage or lack thereof.  The problem is that
> the freezer is _not_ _an_ _swsusp-only_ _code_.  It is used by someone else
> too, and having two different freezers in the tree would be _insane_,
> because too many things depend on that.  This would be like having two
> different memory management systems, but at a smaller scale.

Please don't start doing what Pavel does, imputing to me motives and ideas
that are clearly false. You know that I don't want to have two freezer
implementations - I've never suggested the idea or even thought of it until
you suggested it. My desire all along has been to improve what's already
there, and I still want to do that.

I'm sorry that I'm not submitting and resubmitting things as fast as you'd
like. Please try to remember that I'm not a full time programmer. I'm working
for Redhat one day a week and the congregation I serve four days a week.
Anything I do beyond the one day is purely my time, and I have plenty of
other things to do too. It's not, therefore, that I want to drag my heels.
Rather, I simply don't have the time to get things done as quickly as you and
Pavel seem to be able to.

Regards,

Nigel
--