Re: uswsusp history lesson [was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability]

On 7/7/06, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
Now... switching to uswsusp kernel parts will make it slightly harder
to install in the short term (messing with initrd). OTOH there's at
least _chance_ to get to the point where suspend "just works" in
Linux, in the long term...

Long term being the key words. When will uswsusp be concidered 'rock
solid'? 2008+? Suspend2 is rock solid _today_. Imagine a world where
Linux drivers were as reliable as swsusp (granted I tried to get
uswsusp working and I gave up before messing with the initrd stuff).
I'm not even talking about all the extra features of Suspend2.

Maybe it's worth thinking about at least helping it get into -mm
before complaining about lack of testing Suspend2 has had. Sounds like
people are willing to do the work it would take to get it in, it
appears there is no vehicle at this point.
--
avuton