Re: Driver for Microsoft USB Fingerprint Reader

Daniel Bonekeeper wrote:
So in this case, instead of having an unique interface to retrieve and
use fingerprint readers on the kernel space, we should have it on
userspace ?

Yep - why not (we can do it that way, and it is much easier than doing it in kernel space).

> Entirely ?

I guess there may be situations where, if there is a kernel-based fingerprint scanning driver, userspace cannot realistically know about some of the advanced details that we plan to 'export' for this interface. In this case, we'd have to modify the kernel drivers to add an interface for this extra information, or just make it add a file to sysfs or something like that.

This will then bind fingerprint applications to
always use some kind of userspace library or daemon.

Yep. Just like all applications that use scanners use libsane, and there are many other examples where the kernel does not provide the full solution to a problem.

Not to forget that userspace code is needed to complement any potential kernel-side driver anyway - the functionality provided by the DigitalPersona and AES4000 scanners (just 2 examples which I know about) is so rich that you need an actual userspace library to form the basic operations ("scan a finger", etc). Even more so when we figure out how to decrypt the images and can enable the image encryption bit. Whether in userspace or in kernel, I don't want the driver portion to limit what can be done with the devices, since there are so many possibilities.

If we are to have
a centralized system to manage that (which we don't have right now),
and in both situations we're going to need to implement it

Yep.

(either at
kernel level or as some kind of userspace library set and/or a running
daemon that uses it), I think that it will be better to bind future
fingerprint applications to the kernel instead of userspace libraries.

While there are viable and workable userspace solutions available, I disagree.

What will happen then if we want to combine fingerprint matching in a
situation where the userspace isn't available ? Let's say, use a
fingerprint validation to mount / (I now that this implies having a
fingerprint match algorithm implemented in kernel, which is out of
scope).

Do it in an initramfs, just like you would for any other complex mounting procedure. I think klibc makes this kind of thing even easier. Even if it is out of scope of this discussion, software-based fingerprint matching is not practical in kernel space, and I think I can safely say that this kind of thing will never be added to the Linux kernel.

If we are to have all the fingerprint readers interfaces in usermode,
how will this be done ?

Good question. I haven't thought a great deal about it, as I mentioned before my TODO list is:
1. Get dpfp/libdpfp stable
2. Find or write some code which can reliably compare fingerprint images, hook dpfp up to that as a prototype 3. Solve the larger problem of finding a way to abstract fingerprint reading devices (and fingerprint comparison) into a common API for mass adoption.

I'm still on (1), but I'm really glad that people are showing interest in (2) and (3).

Anyway, here's a really rough plan for (3): compare a number of fingerprint readers, looking at the functionality they offer. Find a way to abstract the common functionality into an API which would be used by a higher level. Add some API and code to compare fingerprint images, and maybe to glue the two together (scanning and matching). Design a modular system so that (to a certain extent) support for fingerprint scanning devices can be 'plugged in' to provide some of the functionality behind the scanning API that has been previously defined.

Let's take in consideration the number of currently available usermode
drivers for fingerprint readers: if we are to have a centralized
interface to manage all the different types of fingerprint readers, we
need to keep this somewhere (a daemon or library providing an API to
access the devices in an uniform way).

Yep.

In both cases, an effort is
involved in porting the currently available SDKs to this API in order
to get it working.

Yep, except there aren't really any current SDKs/APIs. As I said before, the only driver I know about is idmouse and that doesn't offer any recognition capabilities, infact it doesn't even offer finger detection (you ask it for an image, and it will take a photo of thin air if there is no finger there). I don't know much about the driver or hardware, but I think idmouse will need to be reworked before it becomes useful.

So basically we're starting from scratch.

> What about the closed-source SDKs ?

We (as in kernel development community) don't care about them. They can do what they want. They can even adapt our GPL code to better suit their needs, but we might not accept their changes into the official codebase.

My point is: if we're going to implement a centralized interface for
this, and fingerprint applications are to be bound to an API, this API
should be at the kernel, where there are less chances of each vendor
having their own API (as it is now in userspace), and less libraries
or daemons competing between them to be "the default standard for
fingerprint devices" in linux.

I'm not clear whether you refer to vendors as Linux vendors (e.g. Red Hat, Novell, ...) or fingerprint hardware manufacturers (e.g. Digital Persona, Authentec).

If you are talking about Linux vendors, I think they would have no problem adopting and contributing to an open-source centralized fingerprint handling userspace library, and I don't think there would be any problems with multiple libraries doing the same thing in the wild, unless ours really sucks.

If you are talking about hardware manufacturers, I'd gladly take any input they have if they are interested in helping the open source development community. I'm sure they have more experience than most of we do. I have yet to even get a word of response from Digital Persona about my work.

Also, in some ways, competition is good. And doing something at kernel level to simply ensure everyone is using the same code and to prevent competition is not a strategy that is usually employed.

I'm currently talking about something much less ambitious... at least
started like that. Just having a way to tell the userspace the
capabilities of our fingerprint reader hardware (image resolution,
image format, etc). In a uniform way (so doesn't matter which reader
do you have, you can have this information).

Ok. This makes a certain degree of sense, but is making the assumption that the kernel actually knows about the fingerprint reader it is working with. There aren't enough devices supported to make judgment yet, but it appears this will be at least partially false: open-source drivers for at least some widely marketed fingerprint readers will be implemented purely in userspace.

Either way, I agree with the aim, which is basically to provide a generic way for userspace programs to get information about the fingerprint reading hardware which they are dealing with.

Them came the idea of
putting it on sysfs (since this is already done with sound system,
net, etc).

Sounds sensible, but only if we are talking about kernel drivers. Putting information into syfs about devices which the kernel knows almost nothing about is not very realistic, unless you have a masterplan.

Then came the idea of extending it to all devices and
BUSes, not just USB fingerprint (which got off-topic).

This is ambitious (just by sheer scope) but is an admirable effort: it would rock if more device-specific information is available in sysfs, but again, it only makes sense where the kernel itself is powering the hardware.

> but this sounds to me more like a
> decision made by fingerprint devices manufactures

It's not their decision while they aren't the ones writing the drivers.

Actually they are, since I'm referring to the userspace SDK that they
provide, which access the /dev/usb* stuff directly to talk directly
with the fingerprint readers.

Are you referring to open source SDKs? If you are, I'd love to hear about them. If you aren't, its not something that we really care about. They are free to work without the support of the community if they choose.

Are there independent developers
developing userspace drivers for fingerprint readers on linux (i.e.,
aren't tied to any vendor) ?

I don't know.

Anyway, let me make a statement in response to your mails which I'm sure will be corrected by Greg or someone else if I'm talking rubbish:

Various USB devices are *not* handled by the kernel. However, these devices are usable on Linux/FreeBSD/Windows via userspace libusb-based driver code. These drivers will *not* be moved into the Linux kernel unless there is a strong reason to do so. This also applies to the in-development USB fingerprint reader drivers in userspace: they won't be moved into the kernel unless there is a real need to. The ideas you have presented so far do not justify that move.

So, if you are designing some kind of information abstraction for all USB fingerprint readers, or even all USB devices, or even the spectrum of all devices which includes USB, you *cannot* realistically do this at kernel level because the kernel has no clue about some of the devices it is operating. This is a significant problem with your otherwise convincing ideas up to this point, and is something you need to think about in other ways than moving things into the kernel.

I hope this makes some sense!

Daniel