Re: [patch] reduce IPI noise due to /dev/cdrom open/close

Jes Sorensen wrote:
Nick Piggin wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

I expect raw_smp_processor_id() is used here as a a microoptimisation -
avoid a might_sleep() which obviously will never trigger.

A microoptimisation because they've turned on DEBUG_PREEMPT and found
that smp_processor_id slows down? ;) Wouldn't it be better to just stick
to the normal rules (ie. what Keith said)?

It may be obvious in this case (though that doesn't help people who make
obvious mistakes, or mismerge patches) but this just seems like a nasty
precedent to set (or has it already been?).

I suspect the real reason here is that there's now so many ways to get
the processor ID that I cannot keep track of which one to use. Paul's
mention of __raw_get_cpu_var() just confuses me even more.

So if anyone can give me a conclusive answer of which one to use, I'm
happy to go there.

Granted I have a bias to avoid anything involving the preempt crap, but
thats just me :)

Use smp_processor_id() unless you explicitly want a lazy CPU number,
and in that case use the raw_ version. Turning off preempt or preempt
debug options does the rest for you.

If you're just using the number to feed into per_cpu, then use the
appropriate get_cpu variant.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.