Re: Huge problem with XFS/iCH7R

Nathan Scott wrote:
On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 09:51:45PM +0200, Carsten Otto wrote:
Hi there!

(System specs below)

Short summary:
System (with software raid 5, XFS, four disks connected to AHCI
controller) crashes very often and loses data.

My system crashes every few days, at the moment daily. The message shown
is (the drive changes about every time, I do not see a pattern here):
---
ata4: handling error/timeout
ata4: port reset, p_is 0 is 0 pis 0 cmd c017 tf 7f ss 0 se 0
ata4: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
sdd: Current: sense key=0x0
	ASC=0x0 ASCQ=0x0
Info fid=0x0

FWIW, the above look like hardware/driver problems.

If the problem doesn't occur before 2.6.16, that makes a hardware problem less likely. It's not impossible that some buggy feature is now used, but lower probability than the kernel change being the culprit. The bug fix you mention may solve the whole thing, or make it easier to debug.

General comment: if a kernel version made my system crash once a day I sure wouldn't be using it. New features are neat, but I wouldn't put up with that if it made my cat pee holy water.

I would test proposed fixes, of course, but only until I got more info for developers.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a