Re: [Alsa-devel] OSS driver removal, 2nd round

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Olivier Galibert wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:29:26PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Even if you reject this argument, the bug is in ALSA's in-kernel OSS
> > emulation, not the emu10k1 driver.
>
> That's irrelevant.  You can't remove the oss emu10k1 driver in favor
> of alsa's until alsa provides an equivalent interface.  That's a basic
> compatibility requirement.

Sorry, but the OSS interface is not an issue for the emu10k1 driver. It
already supports multi-open, because emu10k1/emu10k2 chip supports more
voices in hardware. Lee was speaking about cheap versions of Sound Blaster
cards and they are not supported with the OSS emu10k1 linux driver, too.

> > ALSA's in-kernel OSS emulation does not have these features and
> > never will.
>
> "Never" is terribly long.

The questions is which feature is missing from the ALSA emu10k1 driver.
Personally, I don't know about any, except some extra features like
rear/center/lfe channel binding, but the old OSS app binaries does not
know about them, so it's no worth to care.

In my opinion, the OSS emu10k1 driver is ready to be removed unless
someone notify us about any missing feature.

					Thanks,
						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>