Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: Suspend2 - Request for review & inclusion in -mm)

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 00:22, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > uswsusp is a great idea, really.. I love it.. but suspend2 is here, it
> > > works, it's stable and it's now. Why continue to deprive the mainstream
> > > of these features because "uswsusp should".. as yet it doesn't.. and
> > > when it does then we can phase out the currently stable, working
> > > alternative that has all these features that uswsusp _will_ have, after
> > > it's had them for a year or so and its been proven stable. Not only
> > > that, I'll be happy to migrate over to it. Until then however, you can
> > > pry suspend2.. cold, dead.. blah blah..
> >
> > Given the above explanation, it's obvious that I'm an outside watcher
> > now, but if swsusp2 success rate is clearly higher than the standard
> > version, then I'd also strongly advocate this direction since, quite
> > frankly,
>
> I do not think suspend2 works on more machines than in-kernel
> swsusp. Problems are in drivers, and drivers are shared.
>
> That means that if you have machine where suspend2 works and swsusp
> does not, please tell me. I do not think there are many of them.

Maybe not machines, but definitely usage scenarios. I've tried both
implementations lately, and swsusp would often -- especially under high
memory load -- just return from trying, while suspend2 succeeds in freeing
enough memory to be able to suspend _every_ time.

Returning with "sorry, not enough free mem" is definitely nothing you'd want
when you stuff your notebook into the bag because you have to change trains,
for example.

Is that something uswsusp is likely to change anytime soon?
--
sebas

Experience, n.:   Something you don't get until just after you need it. -
Olivier