Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: Suspend2 - Request for review & inclusion in -mm

Pavel Machek wrote:
Some of the advantages of suspend2 over swsusp and uswsusp are:

- Speed (Asynchronous I/O and readahead for synchronous I/O)

uswsusp should be able to match suspend2's speed. It can do async I/O,
etc...

ARGH!

And the next version of windows will have all the wonderful features that MacOSX has now so best not upgrade to Mac as you can just wait for the next version of windows.

suspend2 has it *now*. It works, it's stable.

uswsusp is a great idea, really.. I love it.. but suspend2 is here, it works, it's stable and it's now. Why continue to deprive the mainstream of these features because "uswsusp should".. as yet it doesn't.. and when it does then we can phase out the currently stable, working alternative that has all these features that uswsusp _will_ have, after it's had them for a year or so and its been proven stable. Not only that, I'll be happy to migrate over to it. Until then however, you can pry suspend2.. cold, dead.. blah blah..

Honestly, I have given up worrying if it's in-kernel or not. Nigel makes it so easy to apply the patches to the current kernels it's a doddle in any case, however I'm sure it would be much easier on everyone if it were in the tree.

Brad (suspend user since 2.2.17 - and suspend2 is a heck of a lot more reliable/usable than the in-kernel version ever has been for me)