Re: Areca driver recap + status

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:48:58 -0500
James Bottomley <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 22:28 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:18:23 +1000
> > "Robert Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > The driver went into 2.6.11-rc3-mm1 here:
> > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110754432622498&w=2
> >
> > One and a half years.
> >
> > Would the world end if we just merged the dang thing?
>
> Not the world perhaps, but I'm unwilling to concede that if a driver
> author is given a list of major issues and does nothing, then the driver
> should go in after everyone gets impatient.
>
> The rules for inclusion are elastic and include broad leeway for good
> behaviour, but this would stretch the elasticity way beyond breaking
> point.
>
> The list of issues is here:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-scsi&m=114556263632510

I'm under the impression that Erich is under the impression that they've all
been addressed.

> Most of the serious stuff is fixed with the exception of:
>
> - sysfs has more than one value per file
> - BE platform support
> - PAE (cast of dma_addr_t to unsigned long) issues.
> - SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE is ignored.  This is wrong.  The sync cache in the
> shutdown notifier isn't sufficient.

So this is progress.

Erich, can you please fix these things up and then re-review the issues
list which I'm maintaining in
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.17/2.6.17-mm2/broken-out/areca-raid-linux-scsi-driver.patch,
make sure that everything has been addressed?

If there are some things in those lists which you cannot/will not address
then please identify them and give us the reasoning behind your decision.