Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

Alex Tomas wrote:
Jeff Garzik (JG) writes:

 JG> No, there is a key difference between ext3 and SCSI/etc.:  cruft is removed.

 JG> In ext3, old formats are supported for all eternity.

we'd need this anyway. just to let users to migrate.
Not really.  Today, people use reiserfs even though they couldn't
just remount their old ext2 as reiserfs.

An ext2/ext3-incompatible ext4 isn't a problem.  Sure, people will
have to mkfs instead of just remounting, and that will mean fewer
quick conversions in the short-term.  But people using ext3 today
don't really need ext4 - they are per definition running on sufficiently
small disks/partitions.

So an incompatible ext4 will still see use - on new filesystems mostly.
Not a problem, people buy disks all the time.

Helge Hafting