Re: 2.6.17-rc6-mm2

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Goo GGooo wrote:

> Thanks for explanation. Unfortunately I can't use git:// with "git
> pull" (at least in git-1.3.2). First it does some traffic, that
> suddenly stops - I guess the server starts doing *something*, perhaps
> preparing the update for me or whatnot.

Yeah, for a big pull, the server will have to think about the objects it
is going to send you.

> I suggest adding SO_KEEPALIVE option on the git socket.

Actually, the really irritating thing is that we actually generate all
these nice status updates, which just makes pulling and cloning a lot more
comfortable, because you actually see what is going on, and what to
expect.

Except they only work over ssh, where we have a separate channel (for
stderr), and with the native git protocol all that nice status work just
gets flushed to /dev/null :(

Dang. It's literally the most irritating part of the thing: the protocol
itself is exactly the same whether you go over ssh:// or over git://, but
that visual information about what is going on is missing, and it's
surprisingly important from a usability standpoint.

And in your case, the usability downside actually turned into a real
accessibility bug.

Oh, well.

		Linus